In memory of our friend,
Charles Fredrick Frost ("Frosty")
February 14, 1941 - February 14, 2015


Charles Fredrick Frost, 74, passed away Saturday, February 14, 2015 in Missouri City. He was born February 14, 1941 in Beeville to Harold L. and Margaret E. Wright Frost. Charles retired from teaching school. He was an avid Ham Radio Operator and owner of Expert Amps USA.

Survivors include his daughters, Elizabeth White and Rachael Larkins and husband Chris and 3 grandsons, Charles White, David Larkins and Michael Larkins. He was preceded in death by his parents and wife Margaret Jeanne Frost.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 2:00 in the Chapel at Davis Greenlawn Funeral Home with burial in Greenlawn Memorial Park. Visitation will be Friday evening from 4-8 P.M in the Stateroom at Davis Greenlawn Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations to the grandsons' college funds. Tributes and words of condolence may be left for the family at Arrangements are under the direction of Davis-Greenlawn Funeral Home, 3900 B.F. Terry Blvd., (Hwy 59 South @ FM 2218) in Rosenberg, Texas 77471, Phone: 281-341-8800.

In his own words (from the website)

I was first licensed in 1960 at the age of 18. This was my last year in High School.

I was a Technician class and chased DX on 6 meters for several years before going off to Texas A&M where I studied electronics at the Institute of Electronic science. This was part of the engineering extension division of A&M. Married in 1966 worked in Electronic Warfare division for several years at LTV in Garland, Texas. Also worked for Galaxy Electronics in Iowa for several years.

In  1979 became member of JAARS part of WBT and went to Ghana to install new antennas and received the call of 9G1LL. In 1980 went to Juba, Sudan and operated as K5LBU/ST0 as Dr. Sid ST2SA requested that I do. In 1981 operated from 5Z4 and TJ for several days.

We came back to Texas in 1983 to Houston and have been here since. In the years between 1985 and 1990 operated from 6Y5/OA/HZ1AB, as I owned a commercial Radio store here in Houston.

In 1991 we went to Zambia with the FMB of the SBC and there I held 9J2CF. In 1994 we went to Sierra Leon where I held 9L1CF thanks to 9L1YL who was a great person and was fun to visit with the 2 years we were there. Several other hams in 9L land were great friends also and I have missed them.

Came home to Houston and have stayed put these last several years. In 1999 my wife died from Lupus and I went back to teaching school. I have installed a ham station at my Middle School and our call is K5OMS, which stand for Olle Middle School. In fact the station there is better than I have here at home.

It consists of a Kenwood TS570 AL80-B amp 70 ft tower with a C3SS at 75 ft and a 5 el 6 meter at 84 ft. At 60 feet is a 2meter/440 antenna at 50 ft is the center of a B&W inverted V. We work the world.

At home I only have an IC746 driving an Alpha-76PA and an 8el log at 40 ft.  For the low bands 160/80/40 is an Alpha-Delta dual band sloper. I work almost everyone I hear.

In 1999 I made a 2-week trip to VK land and operated as VK4KBU. In July of 2000 made the first trip to ZS land with my daughters and their husbands. Andre ZS6WPX picked us up at the airport and off to Kruger National Park while driving around through the park I operated K5LBU/ZS6 then we went to Swaziland where had the call of 3DA0CF and since then have been back in July of 2002 and November 2002.

Hope fully this year of 2003 I will be back and operate my call of 7P8CF and C91CF.

Hope to work you on the bands!


Some of Frosty's DXpeditions:
1979 - 9G1LL - Ghana, 1980 - K5LBU/ST0 - Sudan, 1981 - K5LBU/5Z4 - Kenya, 1981 - K5LBU/TJ - Cameroon, 1985-1990 K5LBU/OA - Peru and K5LBU/6Y5 - Jamaica, HZ1AB - Saudi Arabia, 1991 - 9J2CF - Zambia, 1994 - 9L1CF - Sierra Leone, 1999 - VK4CBU - Australia, 2000 - 3DA0CF - Swaziland, ZS6/K5LBU, 2001 - SU1ER - Egypt (Guest op), 2002 - 3DA0CF - Swaziland, 3 trips to Nicaragua YN2 - the last of which was in 2006,  several years as C91CF - Mozambique, 2011 - A25CF Botswana, 2009 2011 & 2014 - 7P8CF Lesotho, 2014 - C81CF- Mozambique.  Frosty joined the Texas DX Society in 1998.  At the time of his passing, he had DXCC credits of 181 Mixed, 111 Phone, and 116 CW. Many hams from across the world were able to join Frosty on several of his trips to Africa with DX-Safari's.


I first met Frosty in the early '80s when he ran Mission Communications radio store located on Alief Clodine on the west side of Houston. He was always there on Saturday and many times his wife, Jeanie and two daughters Rachel and Elizabeth were at the store. For a while he ran a sidewalk sale on Saturday morning and many of the Houston area hams showed up and peddled "stuff" and told radio stories.

After he closed the store he went off to Africa as business manager in a number of countries. I remember trying to get him on the air when he was in Sierra Leone and his callsign was 9L1CF.

After he came back from the west African assignments he was working at the hospital with the radio equipment. Unfortunately his wife was sick and subsequently passed away. Later he went to work at Ollie MIddle School where he also set up a ham station trying to get some of the kids interested in ham radio. The school callsign was of course K5OMS.

After returning to Nicaragua with my wife, I operated YN2EJG. Later on, I invited Frosty to come operate the CQWW SSB contest with me. After getting permission from the Colonial Hotel in Granada, Frosty and I went down to operate. We would go on Thursday on Continental Airlines and set up on Friday. The hotel gave us access to the roof which was tin on top of beams. We first brought a 2el miniquad (a yagi though) which we stuffed into a six foot long drainage pipe which had a glued-on cap on one end and a screwed end on the other. At the airport Continental asked if it was fishing gear to which we replied "of course". On the luggage mover it went. We brought Frosty's Icom IC-746 and the first time a Worthmore solid state amplifier and maybe a matchbox. We also had an all band dipole for the lower frequency bands. We set the beam up next to the laundry area on the third floor which was "open" with a railing around it.

The second time we went, Laurie G3UML came with us. He met us at Houston's Intercontinental Airport coming from London and flew down with us on Continental. By that time, we convinced TELCOR (Nicaraguan FCC equivalent) to shorten my call to YN2EJ.  The hotel had also added more rooms so the open area was no longer there. However, there was a water tower raised up off the concrete with a ladder welded to it. We went to the local hardware store and had three 2meter lengths of galvanized pipe threaded on both ends. With a few couplings we put together a mast and with a few 4-inch pipe clamps we put the beam up alongside the ladder with it above the water tank.

The third time we went in 2006, Frosty, myself and Mike K5UO, went down to operate and we brought the TDXS solid state amp. We had many ups and downs since the power went on and off for hours on end. That trip we also brought an HF-2V vertical for the low bands which we mounted to a tower that was on the roof; it worked well.  See

In between the contests Frosty introduced me to the Friedrichshafen hamfest which we went to twice. The 2nd time was in 2001 right after 9-11 and when we got to the gate at Newark to board the flight to Zurich and the stand-by list was overfull. We didn't get on as Continental had changed the plane from a 767 to a 757 and the number of seats was way down; so we turned around and came back to IAH the next morning. The third time I went, we met Frosty and his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Robert and son Charlie in Friedrichshafen after my wife and I wandered around HB9 land for a week and then took the train and boat across the lake to Friedrichshafen.



Frosty also introduced me to the Belton hamfest which we attended many April and October Saturdays.

Frosty, myself and my xyl, Xenia also had lunch on many Saturdays at Dimassi's, the boat on Murphy Road and many other restaurants many times Laurent W0MM also met us and we swapped ham stories.

Frosty was much help on anything for ham radio providing advice on his experiences with antennas, radios, etc.

I'm going to miss you Frosty.

Ed Gerber, W5GCX

I only knew Frosty a short time. I met him at the first Greater Houston Hamfest that I attended and as a new ham I had a lot of questions about amps. He sat me down and explained amps in a way that I under stood. That was Frosty.  Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Gerald Muller, K9GEM

Difficult indeed, he was a great friend.

Dave, W5BXX

I knew Frosty slightly from when I lived in the Houston area and attended the TDXS meetings and occasionally I would would run into him at a hamfest. A couple of years back, I posted a commercial vertical on one of the ham sell-sites and he called wanting it for one of his African stations. At that time I had never used a commercial antenna so I didn't plan to use it and we worked out a price. He drove up from Houston to get it and was gracious as always. Kind of fun knowing the antenna I had is there in Africa now.  

I'm sure he's responsible for a lot of young hams entering the hobby, a lot of people understand amps much better, and most definitely for spreading the word about the Africa he obviously loved so much. I almost made that trip with him on several occasions but other things got in the way. I wish I had now. 

Good guy gone. 73. 

Michael Goins, K5WMG

Frosty came very close to signing me up for one of his African DXpeditions.  We did team up for a mobile Texas QSO Party run one year in Dave Topp's (W5BXX) motor home.  This was about three months after Frosty's wife passed.  He was a very kind man with a very peaceful demeanor and I ALWAYS enjoyed his company.

Henry, W5HNS

I am sad to read about Frosty's passing.  I always enjoyed talking to him at the TDXS meetings, especially about the Expert Amps. His family is in my prayers.

73, Buzz NI5DX

My dad, Fro Hotz, W5FY, now an SK, originally worked with M.B. Lampl who owned Lamp’s ‘Lectronics in San Antonio, the one and only ham store in San Antonio at the time. Guess this would had to have been during the mid-1950s. Lampl decided to sell his business and sold it to a fellow who opened up Modern Electronics on Broadway in San Antonio and my dad managed the ham department/industrial electronics department. If my memory serves me correct, it was probably around the late-50s when my dad hired Charlie Frost to wait on customers, stock the shelves, etc. at Modern Electronics. In those days, we all called him Charlie; not Frosty! ;-)) I can still remember Charlie being a young easy-going, happy-go-lucky type of “kid” who occasionally had to be reminded of his job responsibilities by my dad. The reason I say that is because I worked part time during one summer while I was still in high school and spent lots of time with Charlie. He was a real character!  Sometime, probably around the mid-60s, Modern Electronics was bought out by Perry Shankle, the RCA distributor in San Antonio, and my dad then became the manager of the industrial electronics department. Sadly, Perry Shankle did not want to include a ham department, so that pretty much spelled an end to a local ham radio store in San Antonio at the time. For the life of me, I can’t remember whether or not Charlie continued to work with my dad. I vaguely seem to recall that Charlie did work for my dad but I can’t be positive.

Rod, K5BGB

I will miss him greatly. He was a social friend and very helpful to me. 

John, W5UG / VK4UC

K5LBU (and me) –  A reflection -- Over the past 30 years Charlie and I did mostly ancillary work together – antennas, club stuff and a little business.   I met Charlie at ECHO in the mid-80’s.  Charlie held tailgate sales at his Mission Communications store at the end of the Andrau Airport runway on Cook Rd. Lots of folks attended.  Charlie had been in the seismic business years before, as I, and was supplying RF gear to the locally based geophysical companies.  That was quite often a discussion topic -- the excitement of seismic crew life.  He told me of his adventures on the Mobil marine seismic boats in the Pacific off the coast of W6.  I got to know Jeannie Frost a bit by working behind their Mission Comm. tables at local ham fests when they needed more help.  Fun stuff.  Occasionally, he and Jeannie would take off for West Africa for a few years, but I always heard from them via their letters from their ministry. 

Charlie was always very interested in any of the antenna experimentation work I was doing with full wave loops. I was very appreciative of his knowledge, as he was 11 years ahead of me in the hobby.  I wrote a story about the one time he and I (unsuccessfully) worked on his T8 at his house -- that was published in the K9YA monthly e-zine. 

He ran for President of BVARC in 2007 and ran the club for 2 years.  The current VP had to go to KL7 so Charlie asked me to step in.  During that time Charlie, would often head to Africa, leaving me to run things.  Charlie was a good president.  Always having concern for the club and especially its’ members and the “fun” of the hobby.  He instilled that in me and many others.  When he started Expert Amps, I volunteered to do his marketing graphics that he needed done to localize the information from Italy.  He was very appreciative of my work and presented me with a monogrammed Expert Amps hat.  When I would go to Dayton with my W3-land high school buddies,  Charlie would join us for dinner and tell us all about his DX-peditions.   Charlie and I traveled together to the International EME Conference in Irving Texas a few years ago.  We were both neophytes in the EME world and Charlie was trying to get info on doing 6 meter EME on his next DX-pedition to Africa somewhere.  We spent the weekend listening and talking EME and trying to figure out all of the new the acronyms (HI).   We both left that conference “knowing what we did not know”.  A step in the right direction, he said. 

One other thing that Charlie and I have in common – heart by-pass surgery.  That was also a topic of good conversation about the procedure, post-operative care, diets and doctors.  So, it was difficult to watch him slide downhill over the past few months.  When visiting with him recently, we would talk a little radio, a little business and there would be a little venting on his part, being land-locked in those places. It must have been tough. 

So, Charlie, I have enjoyed our Ham Radio times together.  I appreciate your friendship and I wish you safe keeping in the Lord’s hands.  May you always be 599.

73, my friend..…Rick – W5RH